1.02.2009

Sea of Crepes

This is my first attempt at crepe making, I was always daunted at how difficult the task seems, but after seeing so many of them flipped at Cafe la Crepe on Queen street, I decided to give them a try myself. The batter is so simple, I had everything in the fridge already, except milk, so these crepes are made with water and therefore, lactose-free.
There is no need to be exact with the measurements, but here's my recipe:
1 cup flour (I used whole wheat)
1 egg
1/2 cup water (or more)
1 tsp oil/melted butter
2 pinches sugar
1 pinch salt

Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl with a pouring spout. Make a well in the mix and add egg, oil and slowly pour in water as you whisk the mixture. Continue
adding water to the mixture until you get a milk consistency, really, its up to you, the more watery the liquid, the thinner your crepes.
Heat a large frying pan to medium heat and spray with oil. I found the trick was to pour the mixture from high above the pan, so get out that step ladder... Cook until golden brown, less if you like it soft, like me.
Some of my favourite easy fillings are:
Nutella et banane
Citron et sucre
thon et fromage
All of those ingredients are likely to be in your cupboard anyways, so give this recipe a try.

No comments: